Vulnerable groups are people who are at high risk for poor health status and healthcare access, who undergo significant disparities in life expectancy and have limited access to healthcare services. This population is also likely to have 1 or more physical and/or mental health conditions.
According to WHO, vulnerable populations include; the uninsured, pregnant women, pediatric groups, malnourished people, children, the homeless, people with HIV/AIDS, racial and ethnic minorities, economically disadvantaged, and people with chronic health conditions.
An example of one of these groups in the United States or from another country.
- In the US, older adults are more vulnerable to health issues
Explain why the population is designated as “vulnerable.” Include the number of individuals belonging to this group and the specific challenges or issues involved.
- Because they have low immunity and a lot of medical conditions. A study found that the elderly don’t frequently receive the care recommended for them, such as preventive care, and thus end up being vulnerable. The number of older adults who are aged 65 or older. is 14.5% (46.3 million) of the US population. The challenges they face include isolation in their homes, failure to afford healthcare services, and difficulties while getting access to healthcare services.
Discuss why these populations are unable to advocate for themselves, the ethical issues that must be considered when working with these groups, and how nursing advocacy would be beneficial.
- The elderly are unable to advocate for themselves because they are old, they can be easily controlled and economically unstable, and thus nobody minds about them even if they serve as their own advocates.
- The ethical issues include; protecting their rights and human dignity, providing care with possible risk to their own health, informed consent, staffing patterns that limit their access to nursing care, and the use of physical restraints.
- Nursing advocacy would help our aging population to save themselves a lot of time, money, as well as help in minimizing stress levels. They place an emphasis on the patient’s health and general well-being and therefore improving their health condition.
- Using 200-300 words APA format with references to support the discussion.
Include the number of individuals belonging to this group and the specific challenges or issues involved. Discuss why these populations are unable to advocate for themselves, the ethical issues that must be considered when working with these groups, and how nursing advocacy would be beneficial.