Assignment 2: Constitutional Rights
Due Week 10 and worth 150 points
The constitutional rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights are most highly protected during the trial stage of a criminal proceeding. This is when the adversarial process, which characterizes the U.S. criminal justice process, is at its peak. Use the Strayer Online Library (https://research.strayer.edu) to research, identify, and discuss a criminal case from within the last three years. Analyze and evaluate the steps which brought the individual to trial beginning with the arrest phase of the process.
Write a 4- to 6-page paper in which you:
- Summarize the events leading up to the arrest and identify and discuss the four elements of the arrest related to this case.
- Identify the four requirements for search and seizure with a warrant and describe how the search and seizure process was carried out for this case.
- Explain the various aspects of the plain view doctrine and describe how this is relevant to this case.
- Compare and contrast the various means of identifying suspects and describe the process used in this case.
- Summarize the basic constitutional rights of the accused during trial.
- Use at least five quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Critically debate the constitutional safeguards of key amendments with specific attention to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments.
- Explain and debate fundamental Supreme Court cases associated with criminal procedure.
- Define and describe Constitutional laws and associated court procedures.
- Explain and debate fundamental Supreme Court cases associated with criminal procedure