COMMUNITY ASSESSMENT GROUP PRESENTATION & RUBRIC
PURPOSE: This assignment is to orient the students to the community used for the community health nursing clinical. (16 hours)
This assignment consists of answering all these questions in regards to a place called camillus house located in 1603 NW 7th Ave, Miami, FL 33136. You would need to do research via the internet as to everything they are asking about the overtown area which is where camillus house is located. The first question also requires you to do a bit of research in regards to the communities around camillus house (overtown). All questions need to be answered and a powerpoint with pictures must be done with these questions answered. All must be APA referenced.
1. On your way to the designated community:
a. Did you go through different small communities? How did they differ?
b. Could you identify boundaries for different communities? (i.e., were there obvious separations between communities?)
c. What sights, smells, sounds, etc., were identified with the different communities?
2. After arrival in the designated community:
a. What evidences of a minority culture do you see? How does this affect the environment? (Are there advertising billboards, graffiti, etc., that reflect ethnic characteristics of community?)
b. Who do you see on the streets: elderly, young males, children, and women? (Indications of unemployment, constituencies, etc.)
c. What industries are represented in the community?
d. What would it be like to live in the community?
e. Is public transportation available?
f. How far to supermarkets and shopping centers?
g. What type of housing?
h. Where are “For Sale” signs?
i. Do you think people rent or own the housing?
j. What is the social-economic status of this community?
k. What recreational facilities are there in the area?
l. What kind of churches do you see in this area?
m. What potential environmental hazards did you identify?
3. What are the medical care facilities in this area? Doctors’ offices? Any evidence that physicians reflect the ethnic background of the population? How accessible are the medical facilities?
4. Find a community center, Senior Citizens Center, Chamber of Commerce closest to the city you are assessing. Complete online research. What other community resources are available in the area?
5. Develop five key questions of your own that you would ask an adult living in this neighborhood to learn more about the community. Be very specific to your community.
6. What would it be like to be elderly or homeless in this community? What resources are available to meet their needs
7. What would it be like to be a young single teenage mother in this community?
8. What resources are available for them?
9. Try to find out what the power structure is in the community.
a. Who or what community organizations are influential in the community and how they are influential?
b. Identify potential public health problems/high risk groups. What solutions do you recommend?
10. Discuss potential need for community education.
a. Identify potential target groups to teach.
|CRITERIA||4 points||3 points||2 points||0-1 points||Weight|
|Content||· Information thoroughly and completely addresses all elements of the assignment. Ideas are pertinent, accurate, well formulated, and well supported.||· Information is complete. Ideas are pertinent, accurate, well formulated and supported.||· Information is pertinent, but minor elements of the assignment are not addressed, and/or ideas are not well formulated or supported.||· Key elements of the assignment are not addressed, and/or some information is inaccurate.||X3|
|References and Citations||· Reference material is strong; current (within 3 years); and incorporated logically, insightfully, and elegantly to support ideas; and sources are documented accurately.||· References material is adequate, current (within 5 years), and used proficiently; and sources are documented accurately.||· Some reference material is weak, out of date (more than 5 years old), or not clearly pertinent. Sources are documented accurately, for the most part.||· Reference material is inappropriate or lacking; and/or documentation is incorrect or lacking.||X2|
|Organization||· Organization of the content is logical with fluid transitions that capture and hold attention throughout entire presentation.||· Organization of the content is consistently logical making it easy to understand, and transitions are evident.||· Organization of the content is inconsistent, sometimes logical and sometimes not logical. Transitions are not always evident.||· Organization of the content is not logical and/or some or all transitions are lacking.||X2|
|Creativity||· Highly creative, and original. Excellent use of audiovisual aids that captures the audience’s interest and engages them while clearly reflecting the purpose of the presentation.||· Creative and original. Good use of audiovisual aids that holds the audience’s attention and clearly reflects the purpose of the presentation.||· Demonstrates some creativity or originality. Use of audiovisual aids that holds the audience’s attention most, but not all of the time.||· Lacking in creativity and originality. More audiovisual aids are needed. Does not hold the audience’s attention.||X2|
|Communication||· Language is memorable and felicitous. Voice is clear, loud, and articulate.
· Gestures and paralinguistic cues are used to reinforce important ideas and keep the audiences interest. There are no vocalized pauses.
|· Language is memorable and appropriate. Voice is clear, audible, and articulate.
· Gestures and paralinguistic cues are used appropriately to reinforce important ideas. There are no or rare vocalized pauses.
|· Language is just adequate, voice is difficult to hear or understand at times,
· gestures and paralinguistic cues to reinforce ideas are seldom used, and/or vocalized pauses (ah, um) occur occasionally.
|· Language is mundane, voice is difficult to hear or understand much of the time, tone is inappropriate,
· gestures and cues are not used to reinforce ideas, and/or vocalized pauses (ah, um) occur frequently.
|Connection||· Eye contact is well established and natural. Does not refer to written notes. Uses conversational style.
· Strong connection with the audience. Lively and meaningful interaction takes place.
|· Eye contact is consistent. Refers to written notes only occasionally.
· Speaks to audience and has a clear connection with some meaningful interaction
|· Eye contact is inconsistent, refers to written notes frequently, and/or
· has a weak connection to the audience with minimal pertinent interaction.
|· Eye contact is hardly established, refers to notes constantly,
· lacks a connection with the audience, and/or no or inappropriate interaction takes place.
|Timing||· Presentation completed in the allotted time.||· Presentation completed no more than 1 minute over allotted time.||· Presentation completed no more than 3 minutes over allotted time.||· Presentation was more than 5 minutes over or under the allotted time.||X1|
|Professionalism||· Professionally dressed, polished appearance, with good posture and a confident but humble demeanor.||· Professionally dressed, well groomed, with good posture and a secure demeanor.||· Somewhat casually dressed, and/or posture and movement reflecting lack of confidence.||· Extremely casually or provocatively dressed, unkempt, and/or inappropriate body language.||X1|
|Handout||· Well written, appealing, and interesting with proper grammar, and spelling.
· Excellent use of professional terminology and formatting.
|· Well written, clear and easy to understand with proper grammar and spelling.
· Use of terminology consistent with university level expectations and the profession. Formatting adequate.
|· Adequately written with minimal grammatical and spelling errors.
· Use of terminology sometimes not consistent with university or professional expectations, and/or poor formatting.
|· Not well written, not pertinent, having many or major grammatical or spelling errors.
· Use of some inadequate or inappropriate terminology.
|Overall Scoring||/72 = %|