Assessment Task 2: Simulated Clinical Activity: Self Evaluation
The learning in this assessment has two parts.
This assessment task requires you to utilise the clinical reasoning cycle to develop and reflect upon a care plan in response to a patient scenario.
A care plan template has been created to guide your critical thinking in detail. You must submit your assessment using this template.
The following provides an overview of the process of completing this assessment task using the clinical reasoning framework as a guide and is intended to compliment the care plan template provided.
Part 1. Develop a Care Plan (equivalent to 650 words)
Consider the patient situation
- Select ONE patient scenario and download the relevant care plan template
- Review current information to identify cues from the scenario
- Recall and apply relevant knowledge.
- Interpret the cues to identify what is considered normal/abnormal data.
- Relate and infer the data to demonstrate your overall understanding of the scenario (refer to Levett-Jones, 2018, p 7).
- Predict the likely outcome if no action was to be taken.
Identify the problem/s
- Identify ONE (1) priority nursing problem (which best relates to the patient scenario chosen) that you would address as the Registered Nurse caring for the patient.
Establish goals and take action
- Based on the nursing problem identified, establish your key goal and populate the table provided in the care plan template.
- Within this table, you will need to provide FOUR (4) related actions (interventions) you will implement to address the goal. Your actions must include ONE(1) of the skills identified in the skill video resources for this unit. Please be mindful that some skill videos are more aligned to some scenarios than others. The quality of your capacity to apply clinical reasoning to the scenario provided will help inform you of the skill video most likely to align with your nursing problem.
- Provide a brief rationale for each action identified that draws on relevant unpinning physiology/pathophysiology.
- Identify evidence-based evaluations that will assess the attainment of the goal set
These are the video skills;
- Oxygen therapy
- Pulse oximetry
*Dot points are appropriate in this section if required, but still need to be supported by academic literature.
Part 2. Evidenced-based skill assessment and reflection (350 words)
Based on your choice of action justified through your clinical reasoning approach, analyse and critically reflect on the relevant skill video. Assume within the scenario that you have delegated the responsibility of undertaking that skill to another registered nurse who has performed it as per the video. You are ‘observing’ that registered nurse from a distance. Align their performance using Tollefson (2019) skills checklist.
These are the skill checklists (Tollefson 2019) for each task mapped to the NMBA Registered Nurse standards for practice.
- oxygen therapy Tollefson.pdf
- 12 Lead ECG skill Tollefson.pdf
- Venipuncture skill Tollefson.pdf
- pulse oximetry skill Tollefson.pdf
- Evidenced-based skill assessment
Based on your analysis of the video, identify one (1) strength and one (1) weakness in the performance and capacity of a registered nurse to carry out the delegated skill and provide a justification as to why you have identified that strength and weakness. Then discuss this in relation to the RN standards for practice.
- Reflect onthe process and new learning
Based on the weakness you have identified from the skills video, assume that the registered nurse who has carried out the skill has asked you for feedback on their performance. Discuss what two (2) actions you will take to address their performance in the promotion of positive health outcomes.
Then, consider your overall experience in analysing this case using the clinical reasoning cycle, how has this reinforced your professional responsibility as a beginning level practitioner and informed your future learning?
Case scenarios: Assessment scenarios (all three scenarios in the one file)
This .pdf file will open in a new window.
Care Plan Templates: Select a care plan template which is relevant to the case scenario you have chosen. Your assessment must be submitted using this template.
- Carol Jones
- Kobi Monterey
- Reginald Simons
Video skill performance: These are the video skills. Select the video skill you have identified in the nursing care plan.
- Oxygen therapy
- Pulse oximetry
Your assignment submission will be assessed against the criteria in the marking rubric.
There should be at least 10 references using Harvard Australia