Bayside Health Systems is in a community that is changing. It had been an industrial city, but many of the industries have closed. The local college is growing and is now the number one employer. Other major business include healthcare, a local amusement park, and a large outlet retail mall. The population is also changing with a greater number of young people because of the college and work available at the amusement park and mall.
The only currently existing hospital competing against you has the trauma center for the area and is opening an OB service. There is no children’s hospital or orthopedic services in the area. Both existing hospital treat some pediatric and orthopedic patient but most are sent to other hospitals located several hours away.
Bayside Health Systems will be opening a new high-tech hospital next year (this will be a second hospital in the system).
Bayside Health Systems recently added physician offices, home health, and occupational health to their network. However, they have not networked and implemented existing systems to these organizations.
Administration developed the following business objectives.
- Improve quality of care provided to patient
- Use hospital resources effectively and efficiently
- Increase market share of healthcare services provided.
- Lab information system implemented 5 years ago
- Radiology information system implemented last year
- Nursing information system implemented 3 years ago
- Hospital information system implemented 10 years ago
- Decision support system – ready for implementation but not implemented
- Financial information system was implemented 2 years ago
- Electronic Health Record
- Knowledge based system
- Order entry/results reporting
- Intensive care unit
- Data Repository
- How well are systems in place to meet the objectives?
- Determine possible projects to ensure that the objective are met?
- How can you use technology to prepare for the changes in the community?
- How will HIM be affected by your proposed projects?
Bayside Health Systems have the following systems implemented
The following systems are not developed/implemented
Based on the information above, create a strategic plan. Address at minimum the following four questions:
NOTE: Do not just answer the questions, create a plan which includes the responses to the questions.